this week's bestselling pre-order vinyl records from our friends at SoundStageDirect
LYFE (Pre-Order) by Glass Ghost
Since the release of their debut album Idol Omen in 2009, Glass Ghost's founding members Eliot Krimsky and Michael Johnson have kept busy. In addition to playing dozens of shows, including a tour with White Rabbits, Johnson joined Dirty Projectors as their new drummer, Krimsky has been collaborating with Here We Go Magic on keys, and the duo welcomed two new members to the group, Tyler Wood on keyboards and percussion, and Aerial East on vocals. Like their debut, LYFE was produced by Tyler Wood, who also produced Joan As Policewoman’s 2014 album The Classic. For the LYFE recording sessions, the group recruited many of their friends to contribute, including Joan Wasser of Joan As Policewoman, Nat Baldwin of Dirty Projectors, and Christopher Tignor of Slow Six and Wires Under Tension. Pushing their songs to new levels by working with Brooklyn's musical elite is nothing new for Glass Ghost. They worked with more than a dozen of their friends from Brooklyn's music community, including Sharon Van Etten (who in 2011 noted “Eliot Krimsky is one of my favorite writers.”), Here We Go Magic's Luke Temple, and Matt Iwanusa of Caveman, for their debut which was described by the New Yorker as “elegant compositions of frosted indie pop,” and by Time Out New York as “weird and mournful yet highly rhythmic."
On their new album LYFE, Krimsky (who's currently working on his M.A. in Media Studies at The New School, where he’s exploring the convergence of technological mediation, identity and music) turns his observations of the absurd and mundane into metaphors about living in a world where every detail about your life is harvested, quantified, and used by marketing companies to manipulate your behavior. Rather than sounding didactic or overly intellectual, the songs provide windows into the band's internal world, as Krimsky's tender falsetto glides over the icy landscapes of synths, strings, woodwinds, and regal horns. As the product of Krimsky, Johnson, and Wood's mutual trust, vision, and relentless attention to every detail, LYFE masterfully blends airy, melancholy, and chilly atmospherics with Glass Ghost's irresistible bottom-heavy grooves and hooky pop sensibilities.
Pre-Order at SoundStageDirect
The Negatives (Pre-Order) by Cruel Hand
Spawned in the lethargic backwoods of the pine tree state, Portland, Maine’s Cruel Hand play an eclectic blend of styles that embodies anything but the serenity of their surroundings. Formed in 2006, Cruel Hand’s sound is equal parts New York hardcore and west coast thrash, all with a twist of their own. With 8 years of heavy touring and three LPs under their belt, the new decade will see Cruel Hand continue to mature and live up to their hard earned road reputation.
Pre-Order at SoundStageDirect
This Is The Computers (Pre-Order) by Computers
From Exeter's very own tight-knit and fertile punk scene, The Computers release This Is The Computers, their debut full-length album!
Recorded in four short days in the Californian home of John Speedo Reis. It was recorded live, to tape. That means no overdubs. No computers were involved (irony). There were no tweaks, corrections or auto-tuning this is the real deal, baby. Warts and all, as Lemmy would say.
Pre-Order at SoundStageDirect
This Week's Bestselling Vinyl Records at SoundStageDirect
1. Friday the 13th (1980 Original Score) (Pre-Order)
2. Phish - A Picture of Nectar (Deluxe Vinyl) (Pre-Order)
3. The Beatles Mono Box Set (Pre-Order) (On Sale)
4. Metallica - Metallica
5. MFSL Original Master Record Sleeves (50)
6. Led Zeppelin IV (On Sale) (Pre-Order)
7. Guardians Of The Galaxy Soundtrack (On Sale) (Pre-Order)
8. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy (On Sale) (Pre-Order)
Boards of Canada's 'Music Has The Right To Children' Being Reissued On Vinyl
‘Music Has the Right To Children’ arrived in 1998 as a joint release from Warp and the burgeoning Skam imprint, and proved a seminal release which helped define Warp’s place in electronic music’s hall of fame, and gained the introspective, mysterious sounds of duo Boards of Canada a powerful cult following.
The album created a strange influence in its singular combination of hip-hop rhythms and more nostalgic elements drawn from a mid- 20th century electronic culture that was distinctly British. ‘One Very Important Thought’ resurrected the voice of an automated documentary narrator to remind one of the prevalence of censorship in contemporary culture over distant meandering synths in a way that was bizarrely nostalgic yet of no time at all, while ‘Smokes Quantity’ reigns the same archive voices onto chugging beats to hallucinatory effect.
It is, however, cuts like ‘Roygbiv’ and ‘Pete Standing Alone’ which remain the reason why the album remains a cornerstone for countless musicians today, where naïve synth lines and crunching hip-hop beats manage to induce the listener to a state at once pastoral and urban, recalling the past while avoiding mere replication of it. ‘Music Has the Right To Children’ offers as rich and mind-boggling a listen now as when it was released a decade and a half previously, and one cannot comprehend the landscape of contemporary electronic culture without it.
*Instant MP3 Download with CD or Vinyl purchase
Available at Bleep.com
Iron Maiden Announce Vinyl Reissues - Classic 80s vinyl reissues on the way
Parlophone Records (BMG/INgrooves Music Group for the USA) will follow the 2012/13 IRON MAIDEN vinyl picture disc reissues of the first eight Iron Maiden albums, which spanned the 1980s, with brand new pressings of the albums in heavyweight 180g black vinyl.
In conjunction with these premium album releases, a strictly limited one-off run of the 7” singles from each respective album will be made available. These highly collectable black vinyl singles will be cut from the original analogue master tapes. Released in replica artwork packaging, they are sure to become a must-have item for fans, collectors and anyone who missed out first time round.
The albums will also be cut from the original analogue master tapes and packaged in identical artwork to the initial 1980’s releases. As a bonus, the first batch of album releases (Iron Maiden/Killers/The Number Of The Beast) will also be made available in a Collector’s Box sized to house all 8 albums. This package will be a strictly limited edition and available while stocks last.
The records will be released chronologically across a two month period starting October 13th (14th USA) with the first 3 albums (Iron Maiden/Killers/The Number Of The Beast) and the seven corresponding 7” singles:
Running Free b/w Burning Ambition
Sanctuary b/w Drifter (Live) and I’ve Got The Fire (Live)
Women In Uniform b/w Invasion
Twilight Zone/Wrathchild double A side
Purgatory b/w Genghis Khan
Run To The Hills b/w Total Eclipse
The Number Of The Beast b/w Remember Tomorrow (Live)
October 27th (28th USA): Piece Of Mind, Powerslave and Live After Death and the six corresponding 7” singles:
Flight Of Icarus b/w I’ve Got The Fire
The Trooper b/w Cross-Eyed Mary
2 Minutes To Midnight b/w Rainbow’s Gold
Aces High b/w King Of Twilight
Running Free (Live) b/w Sanctuary (Live)
Run To The Hills (Live) b/w Phantom Of The Opera (Live)
November 24th (25th USA): Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and the six corresponding 7” singles:
Wasted Years b/w Reach Out
Stranger In A Strange Land b/w That Girl
Can I Play With Madness b/w Black Bart Blues
The Evil That Men Do b/w Prowler ‘88
The Clairvoyant b/w The Prisoner (Live)
Infinite Dreams (Live) b/w Killers (Live)
The release of these high quality, black vinyl records offers optimum choice to fans who would like to own a piece of Maiden’s authentic 1980’s vinyl sound, or for those simply wanting to rediscover this much loved, iconic format. Coupled with the end of the Maiden England World Tour which began in North America in 2012 and finished last month at Knebworth Park’s Sonisphere Festival, this now completes Maiden’s 1980’s touring and catalogue reissues cycle, so the band are free to focus on their dynamic future plans.
Watch for order info at the band's website HERE
Sinoia Caves -'Beyond The Black Rainbow' OST' Available On Clear Vinyl
Jagjaguwar and Death Waltz Recording Company are excited to announce that they are coreleasing the soundtrack to Panos Cosmatos’ Beyond The Black Rainbow on 9/2. This supposed “lost film” from the 1980s is inspired by obscure scifi movies and classic dystopian fiction. Created by Sinoia Caves, the ongoing project of Jeremy Schmidt a disciple of longform cosmic synthesizer soundscape, and member of Canadian psychandprog pioneersBlack Mountain the soundtrack draws on inspiration from Tangerine Dream, Wendy Carlos andJohn Carpenter. Schmidt artfully navigates the various sonic sensibilities of his predecessors, incoporating touchstones such as mellotron choirs, glacial analogue synthesizer pads and arpeggiators. The result is ominously beauitful, otherworldly and terrifying.
- PRESSED ON CLEAR WAX
- Sinoia Caves is the project of Jeremy Schmidt, keys/organ player for Black Mountain who have over 110,000 soundscans to date.
- Previous Sinoia Caves song was licensed for trailer for “The Dark Knight”
- Beyond The Black Rainbow is the directorial debut from Panos Cosmatos, son of George Cosmatos director of such films as Tombstone and Rambo: First Blood Part II. Beyond The Black Rainbow was released by Magnolia Pictures
from the great state of louisiana
Local record store remains ambitious after recent expansion
records seen as an investment!
Vinyl Is the Only Way to Buy Music
Indie Vinyl Subscription Clubs Are A Booming Niche
A recent poll conducted by the folks at BBC Radio 2 has revealed that Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" was voted "best riff" of all time by the station's loyal followers.
Top 10 "Best Riffs" from BBC Radio 2 Poll
1. “Whole Lotta Love” - Led Zeppelin
2. “Sweet Child O'Mine” - Guns 'N' Roses
3. “Back in Black” - AC/DC
4. ”Smoke On The Water” - Deep Purple
5. “Layla” - Derek and The Dominoes
6. “How Soon Is Now?” - The Smiths
7. “Down Down” - Status Quo
8. “Money For Nothing” - Dire Straits
9. “You Really Got Me” - The Kinks
10. “Money” - Pink Floyd
Amazon Best Sellers in CDs & Vinyl
1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol.1 ~ Soundtrack
2. The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11(Deluxe Edition) ~ Bob Dylan
3. Partners ~ Barbra Streisand
4. Moonshine In The Trunk ~ Brad Paisley
5. Eric Clapton & Friends - The Breeze ~ Eric Clapton
6. Brill Bruisers ~ New Pornographers
7. Hypnotic Eye ~ Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
8. Promise To Love ~ Kem
9. Pale Communion ~ Opeth
10. V (Deluxe Explicit) ~ Maroon 5
BecauseSoundMatters Top 10 Vinyl Best Sellers
1. Lights - Little Machines Limited Edition
2. Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
3. Lights - Little Machines
4. Cute Is What We Aim For - Rotation
5. Mastodon - Once More ‘Round The Sun Deluxe
6. Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love
7. Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C.
8. Dream Theater - Dream Theater Limited Edition Collector's Box Set
9. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
10. Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady
GRIMEY'S BEST SELLERS 8/18-8/24, 2014
Vinyl Top 25
1. Ryan Adams - 1984 7"
2. Electric Wurms - Musik Die Schwer zu Twerk
3. Cory Branan - The No-Hit Wonder
4. Spoon - They Want My Soul
5. The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream
6. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
7. The Head & The Heart - The Head & The Heart
8. Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker
9. Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds In Country Music
10. Ryan Adams - Gimme Something Good 7"
11. Widespread Panic - Widespread Panic
12. Jack White - Lazaretto
13. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I
14. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
15. Madvillain - Madvillainy
16. Bahamas - Bahamas Is Afie
17. Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
18. Arcade Fire - Funeral
19. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
20. Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
21. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hypnotic Eye
22. Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
23. Big Star - #1 Record
24. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
25. The Shins - Live At Third Man
album cover art of the day:
Album Artwork For New Album "Cult Of Steel" Revealed By Lonewolf