Monday, January 12, 2009

Martha Reeves Wants Detroit to Erect Motown Statues



Martha Reeves has started a campaign to get the city of Detroit to erect statues to salute some of the major players in Motown Records history.

Reeves was impressed by the way Liverpool, England had saluted the Beatles and felt that it would be fitting to do the same for its hometown musical dignitaries.

Reeves told World Entertainment News Network, "I take back a lot of information when I travel. I've seen places like Liverpool grow. It reminds me a lot of Detroit. I've seen it grow.

"It produced the Beatles, and the museum, and different markings all over the city. It's encouraged me to go back and see - can I get Motown and Detroit to erect some statues of different artists so that when you come to our famous city you will see some signs that Motown was there?"

Reeves is aiming to raise $3 million and to break ground for the first statues sometime this year. She is a Detroit city councilwoman.

SOURCE: http://winkscollectibles.blogspot.com

No comments: