Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lennon Lives On Via Yoko

Hail, Hail, Rock'n'Roll

Lennon's song God floors you with a punch. It's a farewell – to the past, to the Beatles. In destroying our idols, it somehow sets us all free

Laura Barton guardian.co.uk

People are always surprised when I tell them how much I like Yoko Ono. I interviewed her a few years ago, ahead of an ATP festival; we talked about art and music and love, and I found her smart, warm and kind of wonderful. At the end of our conversation she gave me a cape gooseberry, placed it in the palm of my hand, like a ripe and precious gift.

Yoko's reputation you will know well: the woman who took John Lennon from his wife, and from the Beatles, and since I met her, it has often amused me that she is painted always as a taker, while I remember her as a giver.

Read the rest here: john lennon

2 comments:

Colin & Bev Hall said...

We're both Yoko Ono enthusiasts as well. We have a huge collection of jazz, punk, 60's, 70's and somehow Yoko Ono fits in perfectly with everything. Her fabulous primal screams and the way she sings about love and pain ... just fits, that's all ;-)

SoundStageDirect said...

In my opinion, Yoko had nothing to do with the breakup of the Beatles, it was a long time coming - even before she arrived.

I marvel at her business sense and skills in keeping John Lennon's name and legacy alive.

Can't say I am a fan of her singing, however, I have heard some great music composed by Yoko. Long live Lennon!