from our friends at SoundStageDirect
Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute To Jack White by Various Artists
The musical ancestors of Jack White and his retro rockabilly blues style come together on this incredible tribute to the man who made rock n’ roll dangerous again - now on vinyl!
Featuring performances by artists Mr. White has liberally borrowed from - true legends of rockabilly, early rock, and classic punk including the queen herself Wanda Jackson, Big Jay McNeely, Sonny Burgess, Gary U.S. Bonds, Knox (The Vibrators), Walture Lure (The Heartbreakers), Bobby Vee and more!
1. In The Cold, Cold Night – Wanda Jackson feat. Shooter Jennings
2. I’m Shakin’ – Big Jay McNeely & Nik Turner
3. Salute Your Solution – Gary U.S. Bonds
4. Steady As She Goes – Sonny Burgess & The Legendary Pacers
5. Trash Tongue Talker – Joe Clay & Cranston Clements
6. Another Way To Die – Robert Gordon & Chris Spedding
7. Seven Nation Army – Knox, Walter Lure & W.S. “Fluke” Holland
8. Fly Farm Blues – Johnny Powers
9. We’re Going To Be Friends – Bobby Vee
10. Blunderbuss – Rosie Flores
11. Fell In Love With A Girl – The Dirt Daubers
12. You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told) – Rejected Youth Nation feat. Cyril Neville
13. Top Yourself – The Denver Broncos UK
14. Icky Thump – Los Straightjackets
Buy at SoundStageDirect
Kiko by Los Lobos
Only a few years removed from breaking through with their cover of Ritchie Valens’ “La Bamba,” Los Lobos turned even more heads with Kiko, a beautifully textured and flawlessly executed musical statement that reveals the group taking on ambitious musical challenges and surmounting every one. In pairing with producer Mitchell Froom, the band yielded this critically acclaimed 1992 set that remains the apex of its distinguished career.
Mastered from original master tapes, Mobile Fidelity’s 180 gram LP version of Kiko presents the record in previously unimaginable fidelity. In particular, Froom’s exquisite production can now be experienced in full relief, with the vintage tape-loop keyboards and spare arrangements yielding an ethereal feel, otherworldly ambience, and colorful finish that complement the ace playing. The subtleties of the richly detailed backdrops—splashed with distortion, feedback, random sound effects, sonorous horns, ominous chants, delicately plucked harps—are greatly enhanced, turning the multifaceted Kiko into the aural equivalent of a sensational IMAX presentation.
The material, too, ravishes the senses. In Rolling Stone’s original review of Kiko, David Okamoto remarks “the music sounds more created than contrived, thanks to the compassionate touch of the group's main songwriters, singer-guitarist David Hidalgo and drummer Louis Pérez.” Indeed, the Los Angeles ensemble tackles tough-minded social issues such as alcoholism, suicide, abuse, homelessness, death, and rape without coming across as preachy or melodramatic. The record’s power relates to that possessed by the most timeless albums—the emotional and metaphysical capacities to transcend problems, overcome adversity, and deliver catharsis.
Spanning rollicking blues and dreamy pop balladry to snarling rock and traditional Mexican-inspired waltzes, Kiko seemingly knows no bounds. Lullabies such as “Saint Behind the Glass” claim mellifluous elegance while the cabaret-laced jazz of work like “Kiko and the Lavender Moon” glows with a dark majesty, thanks to both the skilled performance and Froom’s illuminating production. Los Lobos seldom, if ever, drifted so far outside of the roots-rock box as they do on Kiko. And yet, the collective’s binding connection to folklore remains in tact. Native American, Hispanic, and Catholic elements surface in the lyrics and arrangements, the characteristics expressing a multicultural reach that parallels the songs’ multidimensional construction.
And still, it remains impossible to ignore the use of the studio as the record’s secret-weapon instrument. Imaginative tricks such as noise gates, filters, and psychedelic devices help establish a surrealism that never lets up. Neither does Kiko
1. Dream In Blue
2. Wake Up Dolores
3. Angels with Dirty Faces
4. That Train Don't Stop Here
5. Kiko and the Lavender Moon
6. Saint Behind The Glass
7. Reva's House
8. When the Circus Comes
9. Arizona Skies
10. Short Side of Nothing
11. Two Janes
12. Wicked Rain
13. Whiskey Trail
14. Just a Man
16. Rio de Tenampa
Buy at SoundStageDirect
This Week's Bestselling Vinyl Records at SoundStageDirect
1. Rob Zombie - War Zone
2. Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
3. Beck - Morning Phase
4. Los Lobos - Kiko
5. MFSL Original Master Record Sleeves (50)
6. Grand Funk Railroad - Live - The 1971 Tour
7. Puscifer - 8 Ball Bail Bonds
8. Dean Martin - This Time I'm Swingin'
9. Atmosphere - Seven's Travels (10 Year Anniversary Edition) (On Sale)
10. Crosses - Crosses (White Vinyl)
Brad Mehldau and Mark Guiliana's "Mehliana: Taming the Dragon" Electric Duo Debut Out Now
Mehliana: Taming the Dragon, the debut album from the electric duo of Brad Mehldau and Mark Guiliana, is out now on Nonesuch Records. Mehldau and Guiliana have been performing for several years, with Mehldau playing Fender Rhodes and synthesizers and Guiliana on drums and effects, as they are on the record. Mehliana comprises 12 original tunes—six written by the duo and six written by Mehldau—and was engineered and mixed by Greg Koller (Jon Brion, Kanye West). The vinyl edition of the album, due March 18, includes two 140-gram LPs pressed at Pallas MFG in Diepholz, Germany, and a CD of the album.
Following earlier posts of videos from a 2013 Mehliana performance at Largo in Los Angeles, a video from the session of the album track "Sleeping Giant" premiered on Citizenjazz yesterday. You can watch the video below via YouTube and at nonesuch.com/media. Tune in to BBC Radio 2's Jamie Cullum show at 7 PM GMT to hear an interview with Brad Mehldau as part of Cullum's celebratory 200th episode.
To pick up the album, head to iTunes or the Nonesuch Store, where CD orders and vinyl pre-orders include an instant download of the complete album at checkout. The album is also available to purchase there as MP3s and FLAC lossless files. The audiophile 44.1khz/24bit edition is available at HDtracks.
Available from NoneSuch
The Black Dahlia Murder Reissue 'Deflorate' On Yellow Vinyl
Deflorate is the first album to feature new guitarist Ryan Knight, who replaced John Kempainen. Trevor has stated in an interview that the album has more of a "classic feel" and that the drums have more of a "live sound," Trevor has also touched on the lyrical subjects of some songs, such as "I Will Return" being about cryogenic freezing. The cover art was painted by Tony Koehl
Order at MetalBladeRecords
i know, this is a vinyl record blog (and this is a CD release), but as a kid, i listened to the hell out of this album
A Scratch In The Sky: Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition - The Cryan' Shames
The Cryan’ Shames’ second album, 1967's 'A Scratch In The Sky,' is an unsung gem of that heady musical era. The set’s distinctive mix of youthful garage-rock energy, sophisticated psychedelic-pop songcraft and forward-thinking studio experimentation reflects the spirit of the times and captures the sound of an ambitious band of young perfectionists (already regional stars in their hometown of Chicago) making a quantum creative leap into exciting new territory.
On 'A Scratch In The Sky,' The Cryan’ Shames trade in the familiar rock ’n’ roll and soul covers that dominated their first album for a set of haunting, emotionally resonant, and experimental original compositions (plus a transcendent reading of the Carole King/Gerry Goffin-penned Drifters classic ‘Up on the Roof’) that are bolstered by adventurous soundscapes.
In addition to the album—presented in its original MONO mix for the first time on CD—two non-LP singles and five single versions are included, and all are sourced from the ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES.
The deluxe, full-colour booklet also includes rare photos and extensive liner notes by music historian Scott Schinder that feature the participation of original band members. Mastered by ALAN BROWNSTEIN from the ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES!
Reissue Produced by STEVE STANLEY.
• ESSENTIAL SUNSHINE/PSYCH POP FROM 1967!
• RARE LATE MONO MIX — FIRST TIME EVER ISSUED ON CD!
• SOURCED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES!
This CD is released 28th April and will not be shipped prior to this date.
Record of the Day
from our friends at SlyVinyl
Betrayers – Let The Good Times Die // Limited to 300 Green Vinyl LP
Sharon Van Etten – Are We There // Limited Clear Vinyl
David Bowie's 'Reality' Heads to Vinyl
Oasis to Reissue First Three Albums, Beginning with Definitely Maybe -Reissues will include rare recordings and previously unheard tracks.
Mudhoney and Divine Fits Announce 'Live at Third Man Records' LPs
Green Day reveal tracklisting for upcoming demo album “Demolicious”
Scratch, crackle and pop records as vinyl sales soar
Underground Toronto music label nears its 100th release
The Barn Light brings back vinyl with Analog Sunday
Amazon's Top Ten Best Selling Vinyl
1. Morning Phase ~ Beck
2. St Vincent ~ St. Vincent
3. Your Arsenal (180 Gram Vinyl) ~ Morrissey
4. After the Disco ~ Broken Bells
5. Oxymoron ~ Schoolboy Q
6. Atlas ~ Real Estate
7. Violator (180 Gram Vinyl) ~ Depeche Mode
8. Acoustic at the Ryman ~ Band of Horses
9. Voices ~ Phantogram
10. Music For The Masses (180 Gram Vinyl) ~ Depeche Mode
Amazon's Top Ten Best Selling Music
1. Morning Phase ~ Beck (CD)
2. Frozen ~ Demi Lovato (CD)
3. St. Vincent ~ St. Vincent
4. Morning Phase ~ Beck (vinyl)
5. Riser ~ Dierks Bentley
6. Helios ~ The Fray
7. The Outsiders ~ Eric Church
8. Pure Heroine ~ Lorde
9. Formula Vol. 2 ~ Romeo Santos
10. Frozen ~ Various Artists
GRIMEY'S BEST SELLERS 2/17 - 2/23, 2014
Vinyl Top 25:
1. St Paul & The Broken Bones - Half The City
2. Natural Child - Dancin' With Wolves
3. Phantogram - Voices
4. Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare
5. Death - North St 7"
6. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
7. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
8. Broken Bells - After The Disco
9. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
10. Peter Buck - I Am Back To Blow Your Mind Once Again
11. Noah Gundersen - Ledges
12. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Give The People What They Want
13. Guided By Voices - Motivational Jumpsuit
14. Jimbo Mathus & The Tri-State Coalition - Dark Night Of The Soul
15. Tinariwen - Emmaar
16. Bill Callahan - Dream River
17. St Paul & The Broken Bones - Live & In Person
18. T Hardy Morris - Audition Tapes
19. Com Truise - Wave 1
20. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
21. The Head & The Heart - Let's Be Still
22. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
23. The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
24. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
25. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
RAGE To Release 'The Soundchaser Archives' In May